Thursday, November 20, 2014

SCBWI-WI NE Area Fall Meet-up: "Working with Agents and Editors"

I had the pleasure and privilege of being on the panel with these lovely ladies just this past Saturday, November 15. Here we are:

Oops! Looks like I colored outside the lines a little there. But this way you can see us better.

We met in a lovely old building with lots of dark wood that houses Harmony Cafe in Appleton, WI. And the event was just what it sounds like: Attendees asked questions about working with agents and editors, and we shared our experiences. Researching, querying, revising, publicizing, deciding when a book is ready to query, when you should or shouldn't do an R&R (revise and resubmit), subsidiary rights -- all these and more were covered. Lunch was included, during which there was plenty of friendly chat; it's amazing how talkative a roomful of introverts can actually be. It would have been great to be able to stay longer and share more, which I guess is very much a sign of a successful event. A good time was had by all!

11 comments:

Vijaya said...

You all look so happy! But of course, introverts are full of chatter when it's about the right thing! I am energized at writing events.

Marcia said...

Vijaya -- I think that's what a lot of people like about them -- they're energizing.

Andrea Mack said...

Sounds wonderful! It's always so great to discuss writing topics with like-minded people!

Kelly Hashway said...

Great picture! I see Miranda in there with you. :)

Leandra Wallace said...

This sounds like a super neat event! I'd love to attend something like this and pick authors' brains. Also, I love that Dream Big tshirt- I need one! I like you sweater, too. =)

Joanne R. Fritz said...

SCBWI events are always inspiring, aren't they? Glad you had a good time.

Marcia said...

Kelly -- You know Miranda? Very cool! :)

Leandra -- It was a really nice event. And thank you.:) Melissa's T-shirt fits her forthcoming book, which is called ARROWS.

Joanne -- They are, indeed.

Marcia said...

Andrea -- I think so many writers have the experience of finding their tribe at events like this.

Anonymous said...

I'm an introvert, but I sure talk a lot during certain situations, especially with a topic I love. Looks like a great meeting.

Crystal Collier said...

How awesome! That sounds like a wonderful convention and one I would have liked to attend.

Unleashing the Dreamworld

Marcia said...

Medeia -- Yes, all it takes is a topic we *want* to extrovert about.

Crystal -- Local events can be a shot in the arm and a nice alternative to a pricier conference.